Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Labor and Delivery

Bridgette Jane Fawver was born via C-section on Saturday, Oct 17, 09 at 303AM. Weighed in at 8lbs, 4 ozs and was 20 inches long.
Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and support. I will be brief about her delivery, but you will not believe what all went wrong. The best news is that everyone is healthy and happy now!
Wed night I took my H1N1 vaccine IM (no preservatives). Early Thurs AM I woke up with rigors and a fever 101. Took Tylenol and attempted to sleep. Then, contractions began. I contracted about every 5-10 minutes for several hours (semi-painful) so I called my OB who was out of town (of course haha). Her partner told me to keep an eye on things, but that it was probably just a transient rxn to the vaccine.
So, I stayed home until about 2pm and had a UA that showed some blood and leuks. I called Travis, who was at work at Jeff ER, and he had me come down to the ER. He drew blood, rechecked UA/micro/C&S, bolused me, etc. I was only dilated 2cm so the contractions were not productive. I got the full w/u! haha. No relief. I was very weak, and went home and slept all night long.
The next AM, I still had the fever and so we went straight to the OB. She admitted me with intention on finding out what was causing the fever, and possibly inducing me. I was also group B strep + so she wanted to be extra cautious. I got to the hospital, she induced labor and everything went downhill from there. Basically, I had labored 2 days with a fever , shaking violently, and was so weak. My uterus quit responding to pitocin and the baby didn't tolerate labor very well. I was in the hospital for 10 hours in labor when I was fully dilated. I pushed for 2 hours with no results. She tried vacuum extraction and even forceps. At that point, Bridgette was getting very intolerant of labor. I was rushed to emergency C-section around 230AM. BTW- my epidural did not take on the R leg. So, I was sedated for the C-section. The NICU team was called in.
Her Apgars were 4 and 8. Her BS was too low at 29. I took 1.5 hours to wake up from sedation. Travis and our family were in shambles. There was no reassurance. I was told when I awoke that she was dusky, ran a low heartrate, desating. It was such a scary and emotional time. I didn't sleep at all!!
Did I mention that I had an allergic reaction to something I was prepped with and broke out in hives, my face swelled, and flushed? I was on 3 different ABX as well. NO idea what caused this reaction.
Since we have had a tremendous recovery! God has just held us and cared for us in a miraculous way. She and I both recovered enough to go home Monday around noon. Our first night here was sleepless, but we have so much family support, this was quickly remedied. Now we are fighting a little bit of jaundice, so prayer is appreciated there too. We go again to see the ped today to see if she needs lights.
All-in-all, an emotional journey with the most wonderful blessing in the whole world. Travis and I are so proud and elated that we have little Bridgette with us. SHe is a joy!
Please continue to pray for us as we battle a bit of jaundice!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my!! I am so sorry that this part of your journey was hit with so many bumps. God is Great though, he manages to pull it all together. Your story gave me chills. I know that it must have been very stressful. I am so happy that things seem to be getting better. I have to say..Meredith and the baby look beautiful in the pictures and show no signs of the story. Isn't that great. Keep the blog updated, I look several times a day for new updates. You all are in our thoughts and prayers. I hope that Bridgette doesn't have to go under lights although there are worse things to be dealing with. Reid used lights for about 36 hours and it worked great. I did cry the whole time and it seemed sad that he was in there but looking back I don't think he minded. Actually, he may have really like the "tanning bed" as we called it. And we still have his "lone ranger" goggles that he wore to protect his eyes. Please let me know if I can do ANYTHING. Call me anytime if you need to.

    Ashlea

    ReplyDelete